The draft law of December 27, 2019, №2695 “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Strengthening Liability for Certain Offenses in the Sphere of Road Safety” passed two readings and was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on February 16, 2021.
What has changed in the legislation?
The adopted Law amended the Code of Ukraine on Administrative Offenses (hereinafter – the Code of Administrative Offenses), the Criminal Code of Ukraine, as well as the laws of Ukraine “On Road Traffic” and “On the National Police””.
The purpose of the planned innovations
Strengthen responsibility for driving vehicles, river, sea or small vessels in a state of alcohol, drugs or other intoxication.
Liability and the amount of the fine
- Driving vehicles or vessels by persons who are in a state of alcohol, drugs or other intoxication or under the influence of drugs – UAH 17,000 (wording of Article 130 of the Code of Administrative Offenses in the new edition).
- Repeatedly during the year – a fine for drivers in the amount of UAH 34,000 with deprivation of the right to drive vehicles for 3 years with paid seizure of the vehicle (statement of Article 130 of the Code of Administrative Offenses in the new edition).
- Three times, violation of the right to drive vehicles or vessels by persons who are in a state of alcohol, drugs or other intoxication or under the influence of drugs, provides – a fine of 51,000 UAH with deprivation of the right to drive for 10 years with confiscation of the vehicle, which is in the private property of the violator or administrative arrest for 15 days with deprivation of the right to drive vehicles for 10 years (statement of Article 130 of the Code of Administrative Offenses in the new edition).
- For violation of standard traffic rules (not fastened seat belt, violation of overtaking, etc.) – 510 UAH.
- Exceeding the speed limit in settlements of more than 50 km / h – UAH 3,400, and for exceeding by 20-50 km / h – UAH 340.
- Escape from the scene of a traffic accident is punishable by a fine of UAH 3,400.
- Creating an emergency situation while driving and / or stopping – UAH 850.
- Obstacles to the passage of emergency services – 1145 UAH.
- Driving a vehicle by a person who does not have or did not present for verification of the driver’s license of the appropriate category, the registration document for the vehicle – entails a fine of – 425 UAH, and the driver is deprived of the right to drive – 20 400 UAH.
- Pedestrians, cyclists
- Disobedience of pedestrians to traffic control signals, their crossing of the carriageway in unspecified places or directly in front of oncoming vehicles, non-compliance with other traffic rules, currently provides for a fine of – 255 UAH.
- Violation of traffic rules by persons who ride bicycles – 340 UAH.
- The same violations committed by persons driving bicycles who are in a state of intoxication – UAH 680, and in the event of an emergency the amount of the fine reaches – UAH 850.
Analyzing the above law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Strengthening Liability for Certain Offenses in the Sphere of Road Safety”, we can say that it increases the effectiveness of the discipline of this category of persons with a clear definition of legal sanctions for violations and proper the level of implementation of decisions in relevant administrative cases.